Monday

Pro Showcase - C'est Nom De Strip!


Leeds seems to be a bit of a hot bed of talent for all things music, maybe its something in the water, but creativity seems to run deep.

One chap in Leeds at the moment, but originally from the mean streets of Edinburgh is Nom De Strip aka Chris Elliott.

We've heard a lot from Mr De Strip in the last few months, he's been a virtual conveyor belt of choonage since he burst onto the scene. No stranger to that scene, Chris is standing side by side with Stupid Fresh (Tod), as they look set for double domination. We hop skipped and jumped over the Lancashire/Yorkshire border to catch 5 minutes with the man himself:

Don - We'll start with the standard.... Describe your sound in 3 words?
Nom De Strip - Whatever I Fancy!

... nice answer, and if you had one nugget of advice for unsigned dance music producers, what would it be?
Try to make original tracks and avoid too many remixes. I have made millions of remixes that could have been, and would have served me loads better as, original tracks.

It is an interesting point that, sometimes an eagerness to just make music, and new music leads to an endless supply of remixes. It is true to say that remixes and bootlegs can help you make your stamp, but it is always prudent to make a stamp on some original beats, even if you sample/be influenced by other music!

As a Logic user and abuser, what is your favourite VST Plugin?
I really like Gladiator, unfortunately that synth kills my 4 year old laptop CPU!

And who is(are) your tips for 2010? Which producers have your backing?
Little Bastard, Aspin & Dipace, Punk Rolla, The Dutch Rudder, Jackinori, Reset!, Kyle Watson, Luvstuff, Button Masher, Mele, Stripper, Felguk, Beataucue, Frederik Mooij and probably more I've temporarily forgotten will have MASSIVE years!

Just a few then ha ha! Thanks for the tip-offs - a few of those guys will be familiar to readers, but some others less so... and this is what this blog is all about!

And what's next for you? What does the short-term future hold for Nom De Strip?
Release-wise I have tonnes of stuff out in December, 'Nom De Bomb' EP on Bombsquad, remixes of Dizzee Rascal - Dirtee Cash, Rishi Bass - Dirty Balloon (both with Tom Piper), and of Pablo Decoder - The End Of It All. I'm also gonna be in the studio with Tim Healey. Next year I have an EP with Bart B More out on his label, my first EP on Southern Fried in April, and more remixes for Tim Healey, DJ Dan, MC Flipside, Tom Piper, and I almost forgot.... my mix of Hatiras - Spaced Invader!

Gigs wise I have my final tour as part of Stupid Fresh to South Africa for xmas and New Year, after which I'm fully focussing on finalising solo Nom tours to Canada, north Europe, south Europe, Australia, Asia, USA in the first half of 2010 as well as as many UK gigs as I can get.
I'm happily looking after my own gigs for now (promoters hit me up!), and have Tim Healey taking care of my music management as well as maintaining strong ties with Micky Slim and Bombsquad in the future.


Awesome, another very busy man!

If you still haven't heard of Nom De Strip, definately check out his Myspace... and look out for him and Stupid Fresh hitting 2010 hard!

Until Next Time...




Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment