Sunday

Dance Music Download Stores Market Share



If you are anything like me, and are interested in geeky stats relating to our wonderful scene, then you may find this post useful.

I thought I would compile a (sort of) definitive chart of market share for Digital Downloads. I say "sort of" definitive, because clearly it is only Venga Digital stats, and clearly therefore only a niche statistic range. But I would hazard a guess that you would get similar figures throughout the "Electro House" defined scene.

There has been much ado recently about the demise of some digital stores. DJDownload collapsed last year, and this year already there has been a few stores that have fallen.

It is my opinion (and my opinion only) that Beatport is the Daddy of Digital Download stores for Dance Music. They have a sizeable market share, and the figures you see below I would guess would ring true throughout all Dance Music genres. The Beatport Juggernaught shows no sign of stopping, and I often wonder how other stores survive on such a slim market share.

So on to the stats then. I have just realised that this post has no real "point" so forgive me for that, however it is demonstrating market share, and I have never seen such a pie chart, so I guess that counts for something. The sample by the way is large, and contains info on 18 months worth of statements in case you were wondering about skewed figures:




















































































Digital Store

Percentage

Beatport

69.48%

Itunes

9.51%

DJDownload

8.74%

Juno

5.81%

Stompy

2.40%

Trackitdown

1.72%

Napster

0.59%

Emusic

0.42%

Xpressbeats

0.25%

Traxsource

0.22%

Amazon

0.15%

Dancetracks

0.13%

Wasabeat

0.10%

247

0.09%

Digitaltunes

0.09%

Gigacrate

0.07%

Beatsdigital

0.04%

Boomkat

0.04%

7Digital

0.04%



Alas... there is a point to this, I guess the point is there is more to life than Beatport alone. According to these figures you can increase revenue by 40% if you are distributing to other stores than just Beatport.

So all you guys that have distributors, stick with it - that 15% you pay to them you are earning back in increased royalties.

Please drop me a comment if you found this post of use... or whether you thought it was a bit too nerdy, and I would be interested to hear any stories that would backup the stats above!

Until then....



Don.

5 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, thanks for the info.

    I always try and use play.com for digital downloads because they're so cheap but I notice they're not listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we tried to get Play.com in, we do distribute to there but the volume is tiny.

    We don't have figures yet either as they account 6 monthly, so will be interesting to see if there is any major upturns in that.

    You are right, Play.com is the cheapest though... sssshh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't do anything to advertise their digital downloads so I guess that's a) why they don't sell many and b) how they can keep them so cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I positively venerate celebration of a mass your blog posts, a accumulation of essay is smashing.This blog as common was educational, we have had to bookmark your site as well as allow to your feed in ifeed. Your thesis looks lovely.Thanks for sharing.

    Regards

    Commodity Tips

    ReplyDelete